Cleaning Handscraped Hardwood Floors
Handscraped hardwood flooring is fast becoming one of the most popular options for people who want to create a more rustic atmosphere in a room. With the texture and aged look that this particular type of flooringhas, it’s easy to see why it’s the top choice for that purpose. As the name suggests, the design or “texture” that it is well known for comes is done through hand scraping or by machinery. Now, one look at it and you might wonder just how easy it is to clean, given the fact that it does have a number of waves and even shallow grooves which easily catches dirt. Well, you’d be glad to know that they are pretty low maintenance so all you really need are retail cleaners meant for hardwood or opt to use homemade solutions which would work just as effectively. Through the use of a few household products, you should be able to successfully clean as well as disinfect your wood flooring. Here’s a quick overview of what you need and what you have to do.
What you will need:
Bucket, water and a mop.
- Fill your bucket with about a gallon of warm water then add at least 3 squirts of liquid dish soap. Stir it a bit to combine both. The soap is there to act as a mild cleanser that will not cause any damage to the wood.
- You should also add about a cup of distilled vinegar as this would not only deodorize your wood, it would also help disinfect it. Remember, only used the distilled variety.
- Dip the mop in the bucket and make sure it is saturated well. However, wring out the excess water before using it on your floor. Basically, there has to be as little water on it as possible as too much could easily cause over saturation which would then lead to water damage.
- When mopping handscraped floors, use firm and smooth strokes in order to effectively gather any bacteria or dirt that may have accumulated on it. Repeat as needed before letting it air dry.
- Lastly, make sure that you also use an all-purpose cleaner to thoroughly clean it’s surface.
So there you have it, a simple process for cleaning your handscraped wooden floors. You may also choose to vacuum it but this method can only do so much. Remember to disinfect wooden floors to avoid bacteria build up on it as well.